.begin for Business
A healthier, happier, more productive workplace …
The number of sick days lost to stress, depression and anxiety has increased significantly year on year.
The leading cause of sickness absence in the UK is mental ill health, accounting for 70 million sick days, more than half of the 130 million total every year. The indirect costs to the UK of mental ill health in unemployment, absenteeism and presenteeism (and the resulting loss of productivity) are estimated at between £70 and £100 billion with employers paying £9 billion of that in sick pay and related costs.
A growing body of literature on what is driving this rise in mental ill health in the workplace identifies key factors such as work intensification with multiple demands on attention and the need to multi-task. Huge changes in the structure of organisations, workload and job definitions triggered by new digital technologies are generating uncertainty and volatility in many parts of the economy.
Why bring mindfulness to the workplace?
The benefits of mindfulness for the workplace have been well researched, as outlined in the Mindful Nation report [https://www.themindfulnessinitiative.org.uk/images/reports/MI_Building-the-Case_v1.1_Oct16.pdf].
A number of randomised controlled trials of mindfulness based interventions have found:
- a reduction in stress, burnout and anxiety
- improved focus and higher function in a range of cognitive skills
- lower levels of stress during multi-tasking tests
- ability to concentrate longer without attention being diverted
- less emotional exhaustion, better work-life balance and better job performance ratings
- increased concern shown towards co-workers
Unsurprisingly, a wide range of major UK organisations across the public, private and voluntary sectors have introduced mindfulness projects within the past few years including a number of NHS trusts, the Department of Health, civil service departments, BT, Unilever, Barclays, Capital One, Starcom MediaVest Group and Goldman Sachs, Google, and Transport for London, to name just a few.
Before you .begin let us explain mindfulness to your staff …
If your staff would like to find out more before commiting to the .begin course we will deliver a two-hour training session that introduces them to the what, how and why of mindfulness.
The session will include:
- A background to secular mindfulness
- The science of mindfulness
- What mindfulness is – and what it isn’t
- The impact of mindfulness on mental health, cognition, relationships and behaviour
- How to learn mindfulness
- About MiSP
The .begin for Business course
.begin for Business is an introduction to mindfulness for the purpose of supporting employees in their general wellbeing.
If you are interested in sharing mindfulness with your colleagues, MiSP can provide group training tailored to your workplace needs.
Booking a course with MiSP helps to support our charitable work in improving the mental health and wellbeing of children.
What are the prerequisites?
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be able to commit to the dates and times of the online sessions
- Have access to a computer or laptop with a webcam and have a good broadband speed capable of running Zoom, click here to check technical requirements.
- Understand that this course is not intended as a therapeutic intervention. Should you have any concerns regarding your mental or physical health, please see your GP or other medical advisors.
- .begin is intended for participants who have not previously taken part in an 8-week secular mindfulness training course.
- Understand that .begin does not involve training to teach mindfulness to young people or adults. It is an introduction to mindfulness for the purpose of supporting participants in terms of their own understanding of mindfulness and general wellbeing.
NB Applicants from outside of the UK must: Meet the above prerequisites and be able to speak and understand English to an Upper Intermediate Level, ie be able to interact fluently with native speakers, communicate effectively and understand everyday language.
How much does .begin cost?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your group requirements.
The current standard price is £195 + VAT per person