This training course is for those who wish to teach mindfulness to 7-11 year olds. The course consists of real-time lessons, pedagogy sessions, discussion groups and opportunities to practise guiding the Paws b practices with each other.
Our hope for this course is threefold: to equip participants with the materials and understanding of the curriculum to be able to begin teaching the lessons straight away; to continue to support the development of personal mindfulness practice; to encourage the development of a sense of community amongst participants beyond the course as they go on to work with the young people in their settings. For more details about Paws b, please click here.
This is an ONLINE course and all times quoted are UK Times.
PLEASE NOTE: It is essential that you attend all sessions in order to be deemed as having completed the course.
The training days will start on Day 1 on Tuesday 26th September 2023 at 09.30 – 15.00, Day 2 Wednesday 27th September 2023 at 09.45 – 15.00, Day 3 Thursday 28th September 2023 at 09.45 – 15.00, concluding on Day 4 on Friday 29th September 2023 at 09.45 – 14.30.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY:
- The Teach Paws b course involves training to teach the curriculum to pupils, but not to provide any form of teacher training for adults (i.e. training others to teach the Paws b course)
- All slides for use during Paws b lessons are available in both PC and Mac-friendly PowerPoint Slide Show (.ppsx) formats. In order to use these slides, you will need to have access to PowerPoint 2013. Please therefore check in advance that you have access to PowerPoint via Mac or PC via your own laptop and/or at the school/organisation where you will be teaching the lessons. The PowerPoint Slide Shows are available in Google slides on request.
- We require full attendance on all aspects of the course in order for participants to receive final certification to teach our curricula and related access to all teaching materials via our Hub. This means attending every session on each training day. If a participant misses any aspect of the course due to illness or an emergency situation, will review the situation on a case by case basis. If we are able to offer catch-up sessions we may require an additional fee to be paid to MiSP for the trainer’s time.
- For those planning to teach this curriculum in a language other than English, please make sure you check our Translations web page to see which versions are currently available. If you have further queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org
As an online course, it is crucial that you ensure that you attend the training …
- In a quiet space where you will not be interrupted, and not sharing a laptop or being in the same room as someone else attending the course (this is to avoid audio feedback issues).
- Having checked all technology is working to a quality that allows for full engagement with the taught course. It is the individual’s responsibility to ensure that the technical requirements are working in advance of this course. If you have any concerns at all please do email support@mindfulnessinschools.
org to arrange a one-to-one tech check session. This is an opportunity to familiarise yourself with Zoom and to check that you are set up correctly on the Zoom platform in order to join our online courses. You will need to download the Zoom app to your laptop or computer that you will be using for the actual course. We will check that your webcam and microphones are working and ensure that you are able to use break out rooms. Please ensure that you join this Tech Check Session in the same location and using the same equipment that you will be using for the actual course. This will eliminate future problems and delays.
- Please note that you are required to have your camera switched on, unless advised otherwise during the course (e.g. during lunch breaks).
- Using a PC/laptop/Mac with reasonable broadband and a webcam. Each lesson will take place on Zoom. If you have reasonable broadband then it should work, but an exact list of the technical requirements for Zoom can be found on their website if you want to check. You cannot join the course using a mobile device or tablet as these may have limited functionality when using Zoom.
- Take part in the training as you would if the course was happening with everyone in the same room. This means stepping away from distractions (technology, work commitments etc.), and fully committed to engaging in all taught sessions and activities.
N.B. If you have no alternative but to attend the course from your workplace, please ensure that your colleagues understand that you will not be available for work-related tasks or responsibilities such as supervising students or attending meetings.
If you meet the Prerequisites for training and agree to the Terms & Conditions for booking a Teach Paws b course and the Terms and conditions of teaching the Paws b curriculum please complete the application form below. The application form cannot be completed by someone else on your behalf.
* As a charity we are delighted to be able to offer a number of free and reduced price places on some MiSP training courses to schools who have above average numbers of at least one of the following categories: Pupils receiving Free School Meals or Pupil Premium; Pupils with English as an Additional Language (EAL); Pupils with SEN support. For more information about MiSP supported places click here.
In line with our Environmental & Sustainability Policy, from 1st September 2022, MiSP will no longer send physical copies of resources or booklets. These can all be accessed and downloaded electronically via our Trained Teacher Hub.