What is .begin?
.begin introduces you to mindfulness over eight weeks via group sessions of approximately 90 minutes per week, usually in the evening. The course is for those who either work or volunteer in a school or work/volunteer within an educational setting on a regular basis and who are new to mindfulness.
The course is delivered via video conferencing, allowing real-time interaction with your group whilst being led by a highly experienced MiSP instructor.
.begin combines the convenience of a live online course that you can complete in the comfort of your own home with the intimacy of live, face-to-face delivery.
The benefits of mindfulness for school staff have been well researched. See Professor Katherine Weare’s paper Evidence for Mindfulness: Impacts on the Wellbeing and Performance of School Staff.
In particular, reported benefits of mindfulness for school staff include:
- a reduction in stress, burnout and anxiety
- a reduction in the sense of task and time pressure
- an improved ability to manage thoughts and behaviour
- an increase in coping skills, motivation, planning and problem solving
- an increase in self-compassion and self-care
If you are also interested in teaching mindfulness to your pupils, it is important that you first learn it for yourself.
What will I get from .begin
Apart from the benefits you might find in practising mindfulness, those who complete the .begin course and continue to practise mindfulness on a regular basis can then qualify for further training to teach either our Paws b curriculum (for 7 – 11 year-olds) or our .b curriculum (for 11 – 18 year-olds).
What are the prerequisites?
- Either work or volunteer in a school or work/volunteer within an educational setting on a regular basis. Please note School governors and those who volunteer regularly in a school (including parent volunteers) are also eligible to apply.
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be able to commit to the dates and times of the online sessions
- Have access to a computer or laptop with a webcam and have a good broadband speed capable of running Zoom, click here to check technical requirements.
- Understand that this course is not intended as a therapeutic intervention. Should you have any concerns regarding your mental or physical health, please see your GP or other medical advisors.
- .begin is intended for participants who have not previously taken part in an 8-week secular mindfulness training course.
- Understand that .begin does not involve training to teach mindfulness to young people or adults. It is an introduction to mindfulness for the purpose of supporting participants in terms of their own understanding of mindfulness and general wellbeing.
NB Applicants from outside of the UK must:
- Meet the above prerequisites
- Are able to speak and understand English to an ‘English to an ‘Upper Intermediate Level’, ie is able to interact fluently with native speakers, can communicate effectively and understands everyday language.
How much does .begin cost?
A supported place on a .begin course will be automatically offered to all those working or volunteering regularly in a state-funded school in the UK, the cost is £150 + VAT per person.
If you work for a local education authority or charity you may also be eligible for a supported place on a .begin course, please click here to read the Terms and Conditions and to complete the request form.
Otherwise, the price is £195 + VAT per person
If you wish to discuss group training requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to .begin?
To view our current list of .begin courses, please visit our course schedule:
.begin Taster Sessions
We now offer FREE 30 minute live-online sessions delivered by a trained MiSP instructor to support anyone interested in finding out more about mindfulness and the eight-week .begin course.
Our next .begin Taster Sessions are on:
Wednesday 20th March 7 pm
Register in advance for this meeting: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/9cff3cf4cb9671f84ac87b605f06faf5
Monday 25th March 7 pm
Register in advance for this meeting: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/c1fffc5f2f4de31cd746f627e8486654
Wednesday 10th April 8 pm
Register in advance for this meeting: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/81f8ae6d284a8d2ad746f627e8486654
Monday 29th April 8 pm
Register in advance for this meeting: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/7f4d651f9de06508dc2040ba88984b7b
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting (remember to check junk mail).