Don’t rush! To embed mindfulness properly takes time…
How do I get started?
A .b Foundations taster session for staff is a good way to start bringing mindfulness into your school. An effective taster should dispel myths about mindfulness, offer an opportunity to try out some practices, explain the evidence for its benefits and set out what an 8-week course entails.
It will help your team decide whether they’d like to take an 8-week course as this requires a commitment of time and energy.
Why should staff learn mindfulness?
At its most simple there are two main reasons:
- Mindfulness enhances the well-being and resilience of your staff, among many other benefits. ‘Evidence for Mindfulness: Impacts on the Wellbeing and Performance of School Staff‘ by Katherine Weare, Emeritus Professor, Universities of Exeter and Southampton
- Your teachers need to have understood mindfulness personally – from the inside – before they can be expected to teach it well to young people.
What are the outcomes from an 8-week course?
- All participants learn helpful strategies and understanding to boost wellbeing
- Most keep practising and exploring mindfulness
- Some develop the passion and regular practice to go on and teach others
Why run a face-to-face 8-week course on site?
An 8-week face-to-face course is a very important step in creating a mindful school:
1. It enables the development of a mindful culture and core staff group within school.
2. Experiencing ‘in-person’ face-to-face group mindfulness teaching offers a crucial model for those who go on to teach pupils.
3. Hosting the course on site makes it accessible to a larger number of staff.
4. Staff feel that their well-being is valued by the school.
When would it happen?
This is flexible and is worked out with the teacher. Often it is in the slot after the pupil day ends, but sometimes it might be in the evening, at weekends or before lessons. Each session is usually 90 minutes.
What if there aren’t enough staff to run an 8-week course?
If you have only one or a handful of staff enthusiastic about mindfulness then they could join a local mindfulness course using the UK Network for Mindfulness-Based Teacher Training Organisations Listing.
How do I find the right teacher?
This is probably THE key factor in bringing mindfulness to your school and investing time here is crucial.
A good place to start is to see if there is an independent teacher available who has been trained to deliver the .b Foundations Taster Session and 8-week course to teach adults mindfulness, which is called .b Foundations. The course has been tailored specifically for groups of school staff and you can find trained teachers by clicking on the link below:
Read our advice on how to find the right mindfulness teacher. It is better to wait for the right teacher than rush ahead with one that doesn’t give you confidence.
How much will it cost?
In line with MiSP’s intention to widen access to mindfulness in educational settings at a fair price the fees an external .b Foundations teacher charges should generally fall within these guidelines:
- .b Foundations Taster Session for 90 minutes: £100 to £300
- 8-week .b Foundations training: A course cost of c£140 per person, £1600 to £2500
This fee structure acknowledges that .b Foundations courses are 90 minutes long (as opposed to the usual 2- 2.5 hours for a standard MBSR or MBCT course) and that schools will provide the group and venue for the course.