Why learn mindfulness?
High quality evidence shows the benefits of an eight-week mindfulness course, benefits include:
- a reduction in stress, burnout and anxiety
- a reduction in the sense of task and time pressure
- an improved ability to manage thoughts and behaviour
- an increase in coping skills, motivation, planning and problem solving
- an increase in self-compassion and self-care
For more information please read Professor Katherine Weare’s paper Evidence for Mindfulness: Impacts on the Wellbeing and Performance of School Staff.
What is .begin?
.begin introduces you to mindfulness over eight weeks via group sessions of approximately 90 minutes per week, usually in the evening.
The course is delivered via video conferencing, allowing real-time interaction with your group whilst being led by a highly experienced MiSP instructor.
.begin combines the convenience of a live online course that you can complete in the comfort of your own home with the intimacy of live, face-to-face delivery.
What will I get from .begin?
.begin is an introduction to mindfulness for the purpose of supporting participants in terms of their own understanding of mindfulness and general wellbeing. .begin does not involve training to teach mindfulness to young people or adults.
If you are interested in teaching mindfulness to your pupils, those who complete the .begin course and continue to practise mindfulness on a regular basis can then qualify for further training to teach our dots curriculum (for 3 – 6 year-olds), Paws b curriculum (for 7 – 11 year-olds) or our .b curriculum (for 11 – 18 year-olds).
MiSP is accredited as a CPD provider by the CPD Standards Office, and .begin has been rigorously assessed as providing 13 hours of CPD.
What are the prerequisites?
- Be employed by a school or work within an educational setting on a regular basis or be the parent or carer of a child still in education.Please note School Governors and those who volunteer regularly in a school (including parent volunteers) are also eligible to apply. If you are unsure whether you are eligible please email email@example.com.
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be able to commit to the dates and times of the online sessions
- Have access to a computer or laptop with a webcam and have a good broadband speed capable of running Zoom, click here to check technical requirements.
- Understand that this course is not intended as a therapeutic intervention. Should you have any concerns regarding your mental or physical health, please see your GP or other medical advisors.
- .begin is intended for participants who have not previously taken part in an eight-week secular mindfulness training course.
- Understand that .begin does not involve training to teach mindfulness to young people or adults. It is an introduction to mindfulness for the purpose of supporting participants in terms of their own understanding of mindfulness and general wellbeing.
As an online course, it is crucial that participants attend the training …
- … in a quiet space where they will not be interrupted
- … having checked all technology is working to a quality that allows for full engagement with the taught course. This will include attendance on a pre-course Zoom orientation and checking session.
NB: Participants are expected to keep webcams on during the course.
- … away from any distractions, and fully committed to engaging in all taught sessions and activities
Applicants from outside of the UK must: Meet the above prerequisites and be able to speak and understand English to an Upper Intermediate Level, ie be able to interact fluently with native speakers, communicate effectively and understand everyday language.
How much does .begin cost?
A supported place on a .begin course will be automatically offered to all those working or volunteering regularly in a state-funded school in the UK, the cost is £150 per person.
If you work for a local education authority or charity you may also be eligible for a supported place on a .begin course, please click here to read the Terms and Conditions and to complete the request form.
Otherwise, the price is £195 per person
This course meets the conditions of an exempt supply of education provided by an eligible body and therefore is exempt from VAT.
If you wish to discuss group training requirements please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more before you .begin
We run regular Information Webinars to support anyone interested in finding out more about mindfulness, .begin and our other courses. Click through to our Calendar to find the date and time of the next webinar
Ready to .begin?
Visit our Course Schedule to select a course and apply!