If a more mindful culture in schools is to become a reality, a core group of staff exploring and practising mindfulness is essential.
At its most simple there are two main reasons for staff to learn mindfulness:
- Mindfulness enhances the well-being and resilience of staff among many other benefits. ‘Evidence for Mindfulness: Impacts on the Wellbeing and Performance of School Staff‘ by Katherine Weare, Emeritus Professor, Universities of Exeter and Southampton
- Teachers need to have understood mindfulness personally – from the inside – before they can be expected to teach it well and safely to young people.
Which MiSP eight-week courses would you recommend?
There are two options, depending on the number of teachers interested in finding out about mindfulness and the availability of a local .b Foundations teachers:
.b Foundations is an eight-week course delivered on site by an independent MiSP-trained teacher to a group of at least 12 staff. This option is suitable for schools who have a sufficient number of interested staff to make an in-house course viable and who are able to find a local mindfulness teacher who is available.
Why run a face-to-face eight-week course?
An eight-week face-to-face course is a very important step in creating a mindful school:
1. It enables the development of a mindful culture within a core staff group within school.
2. This group are then able to continue to support one another in their mindfulness practice beyond the end of the eight-week course.
3. Experiencing ‘in-person’ face-to-face mindfulness teaching offers a crucial model for those who wish to go on to teach pupils.
4. Hosting the course on site makes it accessible to a larger number of staff.
5. Staff recognise that their well-being is valued by the school.
How do I find a teacher?
A good place to start is to see if there is an independent teacher available who has been trained to deliver the .b Foundations Taster Session and eight-week course to teach adults mindfulness. This course has been tailored specifically for groups of school staff. You can find trained teachers by clicking on the link below:
It is better to wait for the right teacher than rush ahead. If you would like advice on how to find the right mindfulness teacher contact email@example.com.
When would it happen?
This is flexible and is worked out in consultation with the teacher. Often it is in the slot after the teaching day ends, but it might also be in the evening, at weekends or before lessons. Each session is usually 90 minutes.
How much will it cost?
The .b Foundations teacher will be self-employed, so we are not in a position to instruct them on what to charge. Of course, it will vary from region to region and according to the size of group, type of school, etc. All we ask is that the fee they charge is reasonable and affordable for schools. This is key to the integrity of the work we do, and our aim to increase the accessibility and sustainability of mindfulness provision within schools.
.begin is a live online eight-week course for individuals and small groups delivered by a MiSP-trained instructor.
.begin combines the convenience of an online course that you can complete in the comfort of your own home with the intimacy of live, face-to-face delivery. You will be introduced to mindfulness over eight weeks via small group sessions of approximately 90 minutes per week. The course is delivered via video conferencing, allowing real-time interaction with the group whilst being led by a highly experienced MiSP-trained instructor.
To find out more about .begin: