What is .b?
.b, pronounced [dot-be], is the UK’s leading mindfulness curriculum for 11-18 year olds in schools. .b stands for ‘stop and be’, a simple practice at the heart of this ten lesson course.
Each .b lesson (between 40 minutes and 1 hour) is expertly crafted for use in the classroom to teach a distinct mindfulness skill.
The .b materials are designed to engage even the most sceptical of young minds.
Each .b lesson is expertly crafted for use in the classroom to teach a distinct mindfulness skill.
An Introduction to Mindfulness
- An introductory lesson persuades young people that mindfulness is worth learning about by making it relevant to their lives.
Lesson One – Playing Attention
- Introduces students to this thing we call our “attention” which, like a puppy, needs to be trained.
Lesson Two – Taming the Animal Mind
- Explores different mind states and teaches that ‘anchoring’ attention in the body, alongside the cultivation of curiosity and kindness, can be calming and nourishing.
Lesson Three –Recognising Worry
- Explains the tricks our mind plays that lead to stress and anxiety, and gives us techniques to deal with them.
Lesson Four –Being Here Now
- Comes to the heart of mindfulness and teaches us how to respond, rather than react, to whatever happens in our lives.
Lesson Five –Moving Mindfully
- Shows us that mindfulness is not just something we do sitting or lying down. It also looks at high performance in sport.
Lesson Six –Stepping Back
- Offers us a new way of relating to our thoughts. We don’t have to let them carry us away to places we’d rather not be.
Lesson Seven –Befriending the Difficult
- Deals with the greatest challenge of all: dealing with difficult emotions.
Lesson Eight –Taking in the Good
- Focuses on gratitude and the ‘heartfulness’ of taking in & savouring what is ‘good’ in life.
Lesson Nine –Pulling it all Together
- Consolidates the key techniques from .b and inspires students to use what they have learned in the future.
For their ‘home practice’, pupils are invited to watch and ‘do’ guided mindfulness practices created by one of the UK’s leading animators. The animations are available at www.dotbe.org.
To find out how you can teach .b…